.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tink's journey with Hepatitis C

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The fog returns

It’s been a whole week since I posted anything. I feel as if I’ve spent the week in a vacuum. Andrew’s been away since last Friday and although my dad lives with us, it has felt as though I’ve been on my own. It gave me the chance to do exactly what I wanted to do and, unfortunately, that was nothing….nothing at all. I have felt a bit like the guy Tommy who Ron wrote about on Week 18 Monday – remote. I did look after myself; showered, shopped and cooked but just as soon as I could I fled back to my bedroom where I stayed for many many hours. It felt safe. I had several evening excursions arranged with friends but ended up cancelling them with the excuse of bad weather – just so that I could stay in safety of my own cacoon.

I have questioned myself, why? I thrive on company and normally jump at the chance to meet up with friends. I am a bit bored hearing myself talking about me and my HepC – perhaps I am worrying that it is taking over my life. I have noticed that I don’t think about much else! Perhaps when I have started treatment and got myself sorted I will start a new project – learn Spanish or something – anything really to give the brain an alternative topic on which to thrive.

I felt especially hungry yesterday – even after my huge bowl of Mung Bean Stew. Professor Foster had warned me about weight loss during treatment and said that now was the time to – can’t remember his exact words but something like ‘beef’ up. I am eating very very healthily – no ‘bad’ stuff at all – and my weight remains the same. Strange that, because in previous years I would have called this a diet and weight would have dropped off almost daily. Whilst I am not losing weight, I am changing shape. I’ve noticed that I can hardly pinch an inch which is a bit of a worry because I need something to grab hold of to stick the needle into. Anyway, after all that, I made myself a slice of toast and peanut butter……that put the smile back on my face!

8 Comments:

  • Hi Tink,
    A bit of rest and introspection pre treatment is not a bad thing. Just keep going and after injection #3 you will be able to get back to some kind of 'normal' life.
    It is boring (both the HepC and the treatment). There should be a new category in the Olympics then We could 'bore for England'. I dont care, take no prisoners, do what you have to do and bore the pants off everyone for a while until you have started treatment and feel more settled in yourself.

    I have decided at this point not to talk about HepC + treatment anymore(except to Pete who is my captive audience (bless his cotton socks)) and will reserve all of that stuff for the blog where I can be as obsessive as I like about it. As far as casual enquiries are concerned 'I am fine'. If anyone really wants to know how I am they can read my blog.

    There is a thin layer of sub cutaneous fat on even the skinniest people and the needle is very short so dont worry too much about that. Interferon makes you lose your appetite slightly so peanut butter and jelly sandwiches may lose their appeal later.
    Are you missing Jonathan?
    Wendy

    By Blogger Wendy Kay, at 9:13 am  

  • Hi Tink,
    Wendy said it all, (but then women usually do!) Peanut butter and toast is highly recommended as it helps the ribavirin! Stick with it!
    Martin

    By Blogger MartinB, at 4:53 pm  

  • Tink,
    Is Martin saying we talk too much?
    ;-)
    Wendy

    By Blogger Wendy Kay, at 9:43 pm  

  • Wouldn't dream of it!
    Martun

    By Blogger MartinB, at 10:10 am  

  • Wouldn't dream of it!
    Martun

    By Blogger MartinB, at 10:10 am  

  • Hi Tink

    Your doctor is correct when he said patients lose weight. But patients can aslo, lose their appetite, have taste disturbance 9 METALLIC, LEAD or food taste blan)on treatment. However sometimes some patients have no problem with their diet and can gain weight on the treatment.

    Try not to dewell on your pending treatment now and get back to enjoying your life now. Just remember before you knew you had Hepatitis C you were living you life. What has change? Arent you the same Tink except for the label.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:05 pm  

  • Hi Tink

    Your doctor is correct when he said patients lose weight. But patients can aslo, lose their appetite, have taste disturbance 9 METALLIC, LEAD or food taste blan)on treatment. However sometimes some patients have no problem with their diet and can gain weight on the treatment.

    Try not to dewell on your pending treatment now and get back to enjoying your life now. Just remember before you knew you had Hepatitis C you were living you life. What has change? Arent you the same Tink except for the label.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:05 pm  

  • Sorry for pressing the login twice.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home