.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tink's journey with Hepatitis C

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Letting off Steam

It’s very early in the morning and here I am pouring my heart out into my laptop. I received a reply to an email I had sent to a family member yesterday. I had disclosed all that is going on in my life and got a very non-empathetic reply. Normally, I would have written back and given a piece of my mind. But yesterday, I had spent some time reading the histories of the staff at the HepC Trust (as suggested by Ron Week 16 – Monday- The Trust) and what wonderful reading it made. I was quite moved by the last paragraph in Jane’s biog …”Having hepatitis C has been an enormous learning curve for Jane, which has turned it into a hugely positive thing. In fact, she feels that having hepatitis C actually enhanced her life as it led her in directions she may have never otherwise have gone and which ultimately led her to discover what is really important… 'It was a door to discovering how to live!" it must have had some impact on me because I did not write back to the cruel email. I will save my Rage for something more worthwhile!

I am learning to check myself. All these newly discovered symptoms that are turning me into a monster have to be controlled somehow. I don’t understand why I have them when I’m not yet even on treatment and yet I know they are real – I’ve been having them for months – way before I discovered that I’m a hepper. The irritability, the paranoia, the rage….. they are all there and I do have to watch myself carefully. I nearly went beserk yesterday at Bridge when someone said I had marked up the ‘leader’ incorrectly. I had to pull on the reins sharply…..deep breath…..smile…..

Today’s project is to find the Mung and Aduki beans – as recommended in Jonathan's & Wendy’s Blogs. I can’t say I have ever seen them around in the local supermarkets but there is a very good health food shop at the other end of the island which sells all sorts of weird and wonderful things so I shall try there. Failing that I have found a UK Website that will mail them http://www.herbsbypost.net/. I thought about modifying your recipe Jonathan by adding some hot red/green peppers – I have a similar recipe for Red Lentil Soup and I could eat it until the cows come home. Now please don’t write and tell me that I can’t have hot peppers! One by one, I’m finding all the delights in my life being taken away. PLEASE PLEASE don’t tell me I have to eat bland food.

6 Comments:

  • Hi Tink,
    Let your digestion be your guide as far a hot/spicy food is concerned. If your digestive system finds something hard work you will get some indication of that. I used to get 'reflux' which is acid from the stomach coming back up into my mouth (not a very nice experience)a couple of hours after eating pastry, chips, roast potatoes or spicy food (which I love but apparently dont love me anymore), and twinges of pain in my liver. I tried to eat normally but was chewing Rennies after every meal, sometimes several and decided that this was not a viable solution. Make a note of how different foods affect you and then you know if you eat them occassionally its a trade-off. After all, your in control not your digestive system.
    Its not all doom and gloom, raw foods such as salad are nice and my system seems to love these among others:
    Veggie stews, brown rice and steamed veg, steamed or poached fish and occassionally pasta. (I'll put a recipe for quick tuna salad on my blog today).
    Although I eat fish I dont eat meat so dont know about that.
    As far as your symptoms, treatment can amplify the symptoms of HEPC. Old fashioned words such as Liverish and Jaded spring to mind.
    You are not a monster.
    You are Tink.
    These other feelings of anger, frustration, paranoia etc are all caused by your liver (which is the regulator) malfunctioning. Just be yourself (and apologise nicely afterwards if necessary). Did you ever suffer from PMT?
    love Wendy

    By Blogger Wendy Kay, at 10:28 am  

  • Wendy said it all!
    Martin

    By Blogger MartinB, at 12:11 pm  

  • Thanks Wendy! Phew relief...I can tell you. I eat quite spicy food often and don't get any reaction or pain other than feeling a bit bloated.
    I do eat very healthily - I mainly eat pasta/vegetables through the week and perhaps allow myself a slice of roast on Sundays. I eat loads of fresh fruit/raw vegetables and eat virtually no white flour or sugar products (I do snuck in the odd muffin on the rare occasions I can get to a Starbucks..)When we eat out I always choose fish and, of course, I drink loads of water. I used to eat meat but strangely I don't want it anymore. I would love a bloody glass of wine though.....

    By Blogger Tink, at 12:22 pm  

  • Hi Tink,

    Once you start treatment you may find that your appetite changes. Many people loose some weight on treatment, I guess in part because they don't feel like eating and in part because the interferon makes your body work that much harder.

    I personnally was really concerned about loosing muscle mass and so when I started treatment made an effort to keep the calories up, to the extent that I put a couple of pounds on and am now on a quick diet to make sure I look good by the pool in Cairo.

    It sounds as though you have a fairly healthy diet and I wouldn;t change it at all. My top tip though if you find you are loosing too much weight is to invest in Ben and Jerrys. I can eat a whole tub of Choc fudge brownie in one sitting. Just typing that has made me feel lardy so it is home and gym for me tonight.

    Jonathan

    By Blogger Jonathan Colam, at 4:12 pm  

  • ...thanks Jonathan...my Consultant also said that I should be piling on the calories now as I'm likely to lose weight on treatment. Trouble is, I just can't eat for the sake of it and I can only eat what I like. We are also off to sunnier climes at Easter and I too have to look good by the pool...that tub of B&J does sound tempting though! When are you off to Cairo?

    By Blogger Tink, at 7:11 pm  


  • I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    By Blogger MATINA, at 10:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home