.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tink's journey with Hepatitis C

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

1 down, only 47 to go!

J-Day
I arrived in London mid morning and spent the rest of the day trekking around the shops. Andrew met up with me mid afternoon and my poor feet were killing me by the time we got to the hospital - I’d have much preferred to be seeing the Chiropodist. We picked up the prescription (two weeks of jabs and pills) at the hospital pharmacy and then they picked us up off the floor – this tx is not cheap! And definitely not my kind of shopping!! We met with Prof Foster who explained in great details the types of side effects that might come into play (he did stress the might) and we shared a bit of a joke about the Blog (he knew all about it and the contents but admitted that he doesn’t read them personally). Then it was down to serious business – doing the jab. He showed me what to do and said to just go for it so I did. I didn’t feel a thing and even now, nearly 24 hours later, you can’t see a pin prick. I am on 180mcg Pegasys and 1000mg Copegus.

We left the hospital and I noticed a very slight metallic taste at the back of my throat but not enough to put me off dinner. We enjoyed a wonderful meal at an Italian restaurant and were hoping to catch a movie but the only one we both fancied (Hitch) didn’t start till quite late. So we ordered Cappuccino and afterwards I downed my first 3 ribavirin pills. I take 2 in the morning and 3 at night. We were only a couple of tube stops from the flat so I wasn’t too worried about any side effects suddenly coming into play. We got home and I got stuck into a new book I’d bought. It was about 10:30 when I started feeling quite tired. My feet still ached but that was not surprising having walked around all day and I also felt a bit cold so added an extra blanket. I fell asleep with the Paracetamol at the ready but as yet I haven’t needed one.

Day 2
I had a good night’s sleep and woke up at the normal time. My hair was tangled more than usual so I must have been a bit hot during the night – not enough to wake me though. We went over to Starbucks and sat outside with my rise and shine muffin (they call them bran muffins elsewhere but that probably sounds too healthy for us Brits) and my big mug of Americano. I took my morning dose of ribavirin and we headed off to the airport to catch our plane home. I sensed that metallic taste again after about 1 hour. I feel normal, so normal, in fact, that I’m wandering whether the medication is working. The Professor did say that this type of medication has less side effects at the start but let’s you know you are on it at the month stage….right about the time we’ll be in Fuerteventura. That aside, I think, all in all, a good start!
Ps I told them I was carrying an injectable medication when I checked in at the airport – they didn’t even want to see the letter that Prof had given me and same again when I went through security.

7 Comments:

  • Well done - a brilliant start!
    Be a little cautious as the meds take 5 to 8 weeks to build up! I should take the paracetamol after the injection next time just in case.
    Best wishes,
    Martin

    By Blogger MartinB, at 6:04 pm  

  • Hi Tink,

    Congratulation seems the wrong word, but you know what I mean. It sounds as though you had a similar first injection experience to me, no flu and kind of waiting around to get ill and it never happens. Hopefully the rest will be as easy for you.

    BTW - do you have to pay for your treatment?

    Thinking of you.
    Jonathan

    By Blogger Jonathan Colam, at 6:43 pm  

  • Hi Jonathan...not sure about who's paying for what at the moment. We do have Healthcare Insurance so they might pick up some and my nice Professor has talked to my local GP about putting the medication through NHS and they are game (after all they were going to give me the tx here...I just didn't have any faith in the Consultant). Local GP wanted the Prof to sort out the dose which is why everything was organised by him for the first 2 weeks. I hope it works out...
    very best wishes
    Tink

    By Blogger Tink, at 6:59 pm  

  • Hi Tink,
    A great start. So pleased it wasn`t like my first day. I am on 200 mg more ribavirin than anyone else in our commune so maybe that accounts for my extreme sides.
    It goes by body weight and as I am 13st 6 I take 3 riba morn and even.

    So pleased for you.
    The journey of a years tx begins with one shot.

    Paul.

    By Blogger Paul, at 7:59 pm  

  • Hi Tink

    What a relief for you. The wait is over and now you are on treatment and doing well so far.
    PS It is true what Prof was saying the symptoms may occur and if you experiences no symptoms do not worry about whether the treatment is working or not.
    I had a friend on treatment and she felt like super woman on treatment, more energetic than pre treatment, maybe you can be like her
    Best wishes and stay postive

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 pm  

  • Congratulations on a fabulous start, Tink! Am so glad it's going so well!
    Sue

    By Blogger Sue, Toronto, at 12:33 am  

  • Tink,
    You are finally on your way, doesnt that feel good? Waiting over, next phase beginning. I hope it all goes brilliantly for you. Well done
    Wendy

    By Blogger Wendy Kay, at 7:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home