.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tink's journey with Hepatitis C

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Strong Resolve

There are only two times in the year when you can reach the Tower of Refuge. These are during the Spring and Neap tides when the tide is so low that you can walk across the sand and explore this little folly in the shape of a castle. It was built and partially funded by William Hillary, the founder of the R.N.L.I. in honour of all those who lost their lives on the St George. The ship, apparently, hit the rocks and although only a 100 yards or so from land, the majority of the sailors drowned. Mr Hillary, who lived in a house looking out over the bay, saw the ship in trouble and went out in a rowing boat to try and save lives – this is when he founded the very special lifeboat institution. Anyway, I see this little tower every day – seemingly floating in the Irish Sea and I always think about the story. It just so happened that the low tide today (being part of the Spring tide) coincided with a reasonable time for us to explore. So at 6:30am this morning, we donned our wellies, packed our flask of hot coffee and together with the ginger biscuits we set off to get a closer look at Mr Hillary’s little folly. We planned our trek very carefully as we get a 9 metre tide here and there was only about half an hour to play with. The Tower was much bigger than I had expected and even had a fireplace – would not fancy being there though during our stormy weather. Anyway, I obviously made it safely back so got stuck into the garden as I was already quite mucky. I had a good go at the rockery…. The sun came out and it felt so good to be out there just tinkering about.

I am nearly at the end of my first week on tx. I have made the following observations:
* loss of appetite for the first 24 hours after taking Interferon, thereafter appetite was normal
* a slight feeling of tension, not pain, in the head for the first 2 days after taking my evening dose of Ribavirin, thereafter normal
* normal night sleep pattern
* required an afternoon nap on the day after taking Interferon and thereafter no naps at all
* No nausea
* Greater energy all round
* Tolerant and relaxed (i.e. rage has gone)

The only thing I am not too happy about is the recent haircut but suppose that’s a girl thing…..

PS I put £5 on Strong Resolve in the Grand National yesterday and whilst it didn't place, it did finish!

4 Comments:

  • That was great Tink. I really felt I was there exploring the tower and good to hear again the history of the lifeboat.
    Coming from a fishing village on the North East coast the lifeboat and crew were an integral and highly respected part of community life. Hard as nails fishermen going out in all weathers to earn a living - and then risking their lives to rescue others in trouble.
    Of course, it`s all gone now.

    Never been to the Isle of Man but when I last heard from Ron he was checking on prices to charter a plane for us all to come out.
    How many bedrooms did you say you had........

    More of the same please, a welcome relief from the virus.

    Good week for you, hope it lasts. Maybe it`s all those brisk sea breezes that are keeping you perky.

    Paul.

    By Blogger Paul, at 4:28 pm  

  • Hi Tink,

    Sorry to hear you don't like your new haircut, was it prompted by treatment and fear of it thinning?

    Before I started treatment I toyed with having my hair cut short. In the end I decided to keep it the way I like it which is long. If it starts to look thin then I have a big pot of money set aside for a seriously expensive London Salon hair cut.

    Having said all of that my hair has not yet become appreciably thinner, I count the number of hairs that come out of it and Paul reassures me that there are actually less in the plug hole than before I started treatment.

    I use Nioxin conditioner which some people have claimed stops or slows thinning. I did try the shampoo but it made my scalp go all flaky so am back on Head and Shoulders for shampoo followed by Nioxin conditioner.

    Hope you are doing well, good luck with shot 2 today.
    Jonathan

    By Blogger Jonathan Colam, at 11:05 am  

  • Hi Paul - I think it must have something to do with the sea air. I spend alot of time looking at the sea too - it's very theraputic. I love the different moods and I love the impact that an angry or calm sky has on the water. I could watch it for England....
    I'll be thinking of you this week.
    best wishes
    Tink

    Hi Jane - I think you may have a point here. Before tx, I kept saying how I didn't understand why I had rage and so much fatigue. I'll ask my Consultant when I see him next Monday.
    best wishes
    Tink


    Hi Jonathan,
    I am getting used to the new haircut. I don't think I had it done because of fear of losing it. I had kept the same style for about 3 years and I thought well, beginning of a new chapter, new haircut. That was the theory. It's still longish but they have feathered it around my face - it still blows nicely in the wind with the top down!
    best wishes
    Tink

    By Blogger Tink, at 7:13 am  

  • Tink you are such a glamour puss, keep it up. I now have visions of you belting around the Isle of Man in an open top sports car, hair blowing in the wind, with Sven the gardener in the passenger seat.

    By Blogger Jonathan Colam, at 8:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home