.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tink's journey with Hepatitis C

Thursday, July 07, 2005

12 Week Test Results

I went to London last Monday, did my blood tests and saw the Professor. Everything is looking good. He did not have my PCR results but promised to phone me. We went to Fuerteventura the next day and I have to say I spent the first couple of days waiting for the phone to ring.

I was tucking into my bowl of muesli when the Prof called. My PCR results showed 'negative' - I am clear of the virus. I cried into my cereal! I am type 1 and I am well aware that the chances of clearing are only 45%. I know I still have a long way to go - another 8 months of tx and even then there is no guarantee but I am on the right road. I am so so happy.

I don't think I have done anything special. I have a normal appetite and eat a normal healthy diet with no alcohol. I don't take any supplements and I only drink a normal amount of water - perhaps 8 glasses on a good day but most times not even that. My main reaction to the tx is tiredness - no real other side effects. I just feel lethargic most of the time. I felt breathless for the first month but I'm back to normal now. When I feel tired, I rest. I just follow my body.

My nails have disappeared but fortunately, I still have a full head of hair. More amazingly, is that my eyelashes have grown(???)

On the home front, I meet regularly with other heppers and we are about to set up our own little support group. Tx here is very slow with lots of folk being diagnosed with Hep C but still waiting for tx to begin and then they are shipped off to Liverpool to get support from there. So perhaps we can offer a supportive hand here at home.

7 Comments:

  • Wonderful to read your post Tink and congratulations on your 12 week negative result!!!

    Am very impressed with the support group you're planning and the meetings with others affected by the virus. So very proactive!

    Sounds like you are doing very well. It is wonderful to hear an update from you.

    All best wishes, Sue

    By Blogger Sue, Toronto, at 5:03 pm  

  • Congratulations on your 12wk negative PCR.All the very best.
    Eddie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:45 pm  

  • Hi Tink,

    Great to hear your wonderful news, it is the best result you could have hoped for.

    I managed 2 years ago to finally stop biting my nails but like you I lost them on treatment, in part I started biting them again and in part they went crappy. Couldn't you get some wonderfull long false nails.

    Take care
    Jonathan

    By Blogger Jonathan Colam, at 8:09 am  

  • Hi Tink, Good to see you back and great news. Its just the long slog now.

    Paul.

    By Blogger Paul, at 3:29 pm  

  • Hi Tink

    I am glad to see you back on line. About you eye lashes, some patients eyelashes grow whislt on Rx so enjoy you lovely look but as treatment stops they stop growing.

    Hope you continue to blog it is always a pleasure to read your blog.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:27 pm  

  • Hi Tink
    It's so good to hear of your excellent 12 week results, congratulations.
    I've been wondering about you and I'm glad to see you have got back to your blog. I am also type 1 and will start treatment in August. I think your blog was one of the first I read, and I think I may have even sent you an email. It was just so good to discover someone else out there with the virus.
    I have managed to set up a blog now and will include a link to yours if you don't mind.
    Good wishes
    Miss Poppy

    By Blogger misspoppy, at 1:27 pm  

  • Hi Tink
    So pleased to hear your good news. Hope you will continue to keep us all posted
    Best wishes
    Al C. Lock

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home